Thursday, April 22, 2010

Feed


"Look at us! You don't have the feed! You are the feed! You're being eaten! Your raised for food! Look at what you've made yourselves!" - Feed Pg. 202

The final book I read for my reading goal was Feed by M.T. Anderson. I found a recommendation for Feed as a good "boy book" online and was interseted in it because I had never heard of it before. It was also a part of my exciting purchase at the recent library book sale.





Feed is another futuristic book. It takes place during a time when computers have been inserted in humans' brains so that people are constanting receiving information via their "feeds." The book focuses on Titus, a boy who never really questioned the feed until he met Violet, a strange girl who completely changes the way he sees the world.





Similar to some of the other books I have read this semester I can definitely see boys engaging with the technology found within Feed. Although the book is set in the future it deals with a lot of issues that teenagers today are currently grappling with as information becomes more and more accessible through the internet. My only hesitation with using Feed in the classroom is its use of profane language and some sexual content. I think I would just be sure to recommend the book to more mature students on an individual basis.

No comments: